We review the following five G Suite email data backup options in this blog post:
- Native (built-in) G Suite recovery is the toolset enabling G Suite administrators to recover user emails deleted within 25-30 days.
- Google Takeout is the data export tool available in G Suite. It can be used as a manual way to perform backups of G Suite users email data.
- Google Vault is the archiving service included in Business & Enterprise G Suite pricing plans. Its retention features can be used for Gmail backup.
- Email archiving is a group of approx. 10 solutions enabling data retention for litigation & compliance needs (mostly for large enterprise organizations).
- G Suite backup tools provide fully-automated backup & restore capabilities for Gmail, in addition to Drive, Contacts and other G Suite services.
While our focus is the business Google Apps email backup, three of the backup options described here (native recovery, Takeout and some of the G Suite backup solutions) can also be used for personal Gmail account backup.