We review the following five Google Workspace (G Suite) email data backup options in this blog post:
- Native (built-in) Google Workspace recovery is the toolset enabling G Suite administrators to recover user emails deleted within 25-30 days.
- Google Takeout is the data export tool available in Google Workspace. It can be used as a manual way to perform backups of G Suite users email data.
- Google Vault is the archiving service included in Business & Enterprise Google Workspace pricing plans. Its retention features can be used for Gmail backup.
- Email archiving is a group of approx. 10 solutions enabling data retention for litigation & compliance needs (mostly for large enterprise organizations).
- Google Workspace (G Suite) backup tools provide fully-automated backup & restore capabilities for Gmail, in addition to Drive, Contacts and other G Suite services. Check out another Afi blog post if you'd like to see a detailed comparison of Google Workspace backup options.
The focus of this blog post is business Google Workspace email backup, however three of the backup options described here (native recovery, Takeout and some of the G Suite backup solutions) can also be used for personal Gmail account backup.